Metabolism, adrenal glands and especially hormones seem to be a popular topic between all my girlfriends in their 30’s. Is it true that every 7 years we ladies should expect our hormones to change and go haywire? WHAT THE HECK? I am finding it more and more difficult to keep my metabolism and energy levels up. You?
I am often asked what my fitness & health “program” is and I want to share a few quick tips I have found to give my metabolism a good kick in the pants!
First, consider doing a cleanse or detox. Our bodies can become very acidic which wrecks havoc on our metabolism! I have discussed a candida cleanse that I did and had great results. See my previous blog and webisode.
1. Drink a glass of water right when you wake up. (Before you drink your cup of joe) After a nights sleep, we have toxins just sitting in our body. This flushes them out and prepares your body for the day.
2. Protein shake for breakfast. (Remember breakfast means “break the fast”. During sleep, our bodies go into a “fasting” mode so it’s vital to never skip breakfast. Skipping breakfast slows down your metabolism.)
-8 oz of water
-1 scoop of Whey Protein Powder
-Sprinkle of flax seeds
-Super red powder (pom, acai, blueberry, etc..) OR Super green powder (broccoli, kale, green tea, etc..)
-Big dash of cayenne pepper
3. Drink water, water and more water! Staying hydrated speeds up your metabolism. Our mind and organs, as well as our cells- function better! Live, alkaline water or at least water that has minerals added is the best! Random bottled water has absolutely no hydrating benefits to your body.
4. Eat small meals every 3 hrs. I call it “grazing”. Never skip meals! Our body shuts down and actually holds on to the fat.
5. Start taking EFA’s (essential fatty acids: omegas, flax, borgage) Helps with adrenal and thyroid activity which effects your metabolism.
6. Cutting out sugar, wheat, gluten, alcohol and dairy. Yes, that sounds harsh but you will see a huge difference in your energy! You do not have to deprive yourself forever and I certainly love my glass of wine, but these things must be limited during a detox. I know it sounds redundant, but EAT MORE FRUITS & VEGGIES!
7. Move More! Powerwalk around the block. Dance in your living room. Keeping active will ensure a healthy metabolism.
My wish is for you all to feel healthy, strong & powerful! Comment and let me know if you are dealing with a lazy metabolism or if you have a great health tip to share with us.