Question- What’s your stress level on a regular basis? You are probably wondering, “Tiff, what does that have to do with beauty, style or inspiration?”…well, it has a lot to do with how healthy, vibrant, aware, sharp, peaceful and powerful you feel. Constant stress is carried on your face and will dull your light not to mention over time it can cause serious dis-ease in your body. So let’s discuss this because I am personally “checking myself” and my own stress levels more than normal lately and I find everywhere I turn people are just out-of-their-mind STRESSED OUT! This is no way to live ladies. LIFE IS SHORT!
I’m about to keep it very real here…
I use to live stressed out all the time with high anxiety because I had not healed through my past and like many people I numbed myself with drugs and alcohol to begin with. Then a friend convinced me to see a doctor and of course, they put me on anti-depressants, anti-anxiety pills and ambien to sleep because I would be so amped up for the other pills. WHEW! It’s a vicious cycle with this stuff and I couldn’t function long on all these RX’s. For me, the only thing that worked to calm the nerves was to red flag my stressors and begin a serious spiritual practice of prayer and journaling plus there’s nothing like a good old fashioned long walk to clear your head. Learning to manage your stress will change your life and the lives of those around you! It really effects every area of our lives:
- Sleep Difficulties
- Loss of Appetite or Over-eating
- Lack of Concentration
- Sloppy performance on the job
- Anti-social Behavior
- Abusing Alcohol or Drugs
- Nervous Habits
- Short Temper
- Poor Memory
Does that sound about right? Make it a priority to check in with yourself on a regular basis and deal with the stress so it doesn’t grow into an unmanageable beast.
Here’s 20 tips I have found to help:
- Do not keep things bottled up! Talk to someone you trust to help you work through it.
- Spend time daily doing an activity you love. (I hike or powerwalk)
- Improve your diet! Eating vitamin rich foods and avoiding junk with preservatives will keep your nervous system functioning properly. Add a B complex supplement too!
- Simplify! This is so important but very difficult for “busy bodies”. Stop taking on too many activities at once. You know the popular saying, “my plate is so full”. Well, change that!
- Stop rushing! When you feel panicked or rushed, STOP- sit quietly, take a deep breath and regain your composure.
- Keep a zen-like peaceful environment at work and at home.
- Be present! Don’t put too much thought into the future or the past. Enjoy the NOW!
- Avoid unrealistic expectations on yourself and others! Whew- this will alleviate a ton of stress.
- Get enough sleep!
- Exercise more! It produces “feel good” chemicals.
- Take note of your moods! Ladies, we have those pesky hormones to deal with so be aware of how you’re feeling emotionally and cut yourself a break when you need to.
- Explore relaxation methods: Yoga, walking, journaling, listening to soothing music, hiking, etc.
- Express yourself! If you feel sad, allow yourself a good cry. If you’re angry, express it constructively. (Breaking plates not allowed)
- Love people and use things! Not the other way around. Walking in love is a huge stress reducer. Drop the ego.
- Take a techno break! Unplug the phone, stay off the computer, don’t watch TV. Often these things bring major stress into our life and we don’t even realize it.
- Learn the power of saying “NO”. This brings tons of stress on many woman. Being a ‘people pleaser’ will ultimately stress you out and build resentment!
- Do not use crutches! Food, cigarettes, drugs or alcohol will also ultimately add to your stress instead of the temporary relief of it.
- Avoid boredom! Period.
- Surround yourself with positive peeps! Stress and negativity are contagious so hang out with positive, uplifting friends.
- Get in touch with the little kid inside you on a regular basis! Try to have more fun and find things that give you a good belly laugh every once in a while.
Most important thing of all – GRACE! It gives you the strength and power to get done what you need to even when you think you can’t. Tap into it.
Let’s not be one of those women who constantly whines and complains about how stressed out she is. You know that gal! They talk about it all the time, but do nothing to change it. Make it a priority. Make your peace + joy a priority. I promise it will keep away the lines between your eyes and help you to shine your light as you should, my sista!
REMEMBER: Fun giveaways every week this summer! I’m excited to share my fave self-tanner products with you from Colour Couture and fun unique items from Luscious Soul, a fun eclectic boutique in Thousand Oaks, CA and much more! To participate, you must be a subscriber to this blog (you can enter your email at the top right of the page) and a follower on the Facebook Page. Check in and join the conversation, make comments and each week one “commenter” will be chosen to win. This week is a fun one- I’ve asked “What was the first “fashionable” item you remember loving as a kid?” The responses so far have been so fun. Everything from jellies to patent leather Go-Go boots to Jordache Jeans and Vans!
If you have a friend who you know this post could help, please share it with her! Follow the links below. You can post it to Google+ or even email it.
I’m grateful you are part of this Style Sisterhood!
With love + gratitude,