Written by Regina Brett, 90 years old of Cleveland , Ohio
To celebrate growing older, I once wrote the 45 lessons life taught me. It is the most requested column I’ve ever written. My odometer rolled over to 90 in August, so here is the column once more:
- Life isn’t fair, but it’s still good.
- If a relationship has to be a secret, you shouldn’t be in it.
- Life is too short – Live everyday with dignity.
- Your job won’t take care of you when you are sick. Your friends and family will.
- Don’t buy stuff you don’t need.
- You don’t have to win every argument. Stay true to yourself.
- Cry with someone. It’s more healing than crying alone.
- It’s OK to get angry once in awhile.
- Save for things that matter.
- When it comes to chocolate, resistance is futile.
- Make peace with your past so it won’t screw up the present.
- It’s OK to let your children see you cry.
- Don’t compare your life to others. You have no idea what their journey is all about.
- When in doubt, just take the next small step.
- Everything can change in the blink of an eye But don’t worry; God never blinks.
- Take a deep breath. It calms the mind.
- Get rid of anything that isn’t =useful. Clutter weighs you down in many ways.
- Whatever doesn’t kill you really does make you stronger.
- It’s never too late to be happy. But it’s all up to you and no one else.
- When it comes to going after what you want in life, don’t take no for an answer.
- Burn the candles, use the nice sheets, wear the fancy lingerie. Don’t save it for a special occasion. Today is special.
- Over prepare, then go with the flow.
- Be eccentric now. Don’t wait for old age to wear purple.
- The most important sex organ is the brain.
- No one is in charge of your happiness but you.
- Frame every so-called disaster with these words ‘In five years, will this matter?’
- Always choose life.
- Don’t lie, the truth will always catch up to you.
- What other people think of you is none of your business.
- Get rid of things that weigh you down, because it is not worth your time.
- However good or bad a situation is, it will change.
- Don’t take yourself so seriously. No one else does.
- Believe in miracles.
- God loves you because of who God is, not because of anything you did or didn’t do.
- Don’t audit life. Show up and make the most of it now.
- Growing old beats the alternative — dying young.
- Your children get only one childhood.
- All that truly matters in the end is your character.
- Get outside every day. Miracles are waiting everywhere.
- If we all threw our problems in a pile and saw everyone else’s, we’d grab ours back.
- Envy is a waste of time. Accept what you already have not what you need.
- The best is yet to come.
- No matter how you feel, get up, dress up and show up.
- Life isn’t tied with a bow, but it’s still a gift.
Which ones are your Top 3 faves? Please comment!
P.S. Thanks to my beautiful soul sister, Julianna for sharing this with us!