Because I work in front of the camera and have to look bright-eyed at a moments notice, I have found the following tips give me an instant well-rested look even after a night of little sleep, high sodium meals, sugary treats and one glass of wine too many! On top of that, I have hereditary dark circles and puffy eyes. The use of heaters and all the nasal issues we deal with during the winter can add to the puffy eye problem as well. The combination of the following tips will give you the appearance of being bright eyed and bushy tailed and as if you slept a full 8 hours, I promise!
1. HYDRATE: Drink a large glass of water with juice from half a lemon. This aids in relieving a puffy face and cleanses the body of toxins. Also, helps keep your belly flatter for that sassy cocktail dress. (I actually down a big glass of lemon water first thing EVERY a.m.)
2. NATURAL DIURETIC: Puffiness is due to a build up of fluid under the eye. Eat a bowl a strawberries to flush out water retention. They are loaded with calcium, potassium and arginine which have diuretic properties.
3. TEA BAGS: Chill used tea bags in the fridge and apply to eyes for 10 minutes to reduce swelling. Cold spoons work as well, but aren’t as comfortable.
4. UNDER EYE CREAM WITH CAFFEINE: Look for eye creams and serums with caffeine which shrinks fluid buildup under the eye. I use Garnier anti-dark circle rollerball with tint on days my eyes are extra dark and puffy. The caffeine plus the rollerball help de-puff the under eye area super quick.
5. EGG WHITE MASK: Using approximately 1 teaspoon of an egg white as a facial mask will tighten the skin and shrink swelling and pore size. Wakes up your skin and gives you an instant glow. Make sure to do this mask the day of an important event where lots of photos will be taken! Your skin will be glowing and smooth.
6. HIGHLIGHTER IN CORNER OF EYES: Adding a brightening white, beige or peach eyeshadow to the inner corner of the eye adds a youthful look and widens the appearance of the eyes giving a more rested look.
7. VISINE: A ‘must do’ to whitens the eyes.
9. ADD CUCUMBERS TO EVERY MEAL. (Great to do year round, not just the holidays!) Cucumbers contain silica, an ingredient which boosts moisture and elasticity to the skin. It’s awesome for hydrating dry skin and hair during winter. I’ve been eating a Persian cucumber before bed the past few months and can see a big difference in my skin when I wake up. Thanks to my sister, esthetician and wellness ambassador Natalie Bolton for the tip!
10. RAISE YOUR HEART RATE: Doing 50 jumping jacks or taking a brisk 15-20 minute walk instantly increases the circulation in the body which adds a flush to the cheeks helping you look and feel more awake.
Plus, if you can get in a few 15 minute power naps here and there during the holidays it will help you get through all the activities! Make sure to drink a protein shake or protein-rich snack like tuna fish before heading to a cocktail party. Protein digests slower giving you a “full” feeling longer and will keep you from lapping around the snack table one too many times.
I posted this on the Facebook Page and wanted to share it here with the blog sistas too…
You may not be able to buy the latest Louboutin’s or that designer dress, but…. when you live life with an OPEN HEART leaving others feeling better from having been in your presence, CONFIDENT in who you are, embracing your strengths as well as your quirks, refuse to play into comparison and are surrounded by fam & friends who always have your back– YOU my sista, are a WEALTHY WOMAN… even if you are rockin’ a $15 top from TJ Maxx. HOLLA! That’s what SOS is all about. Styling your Spirit as well as your wardrobe! Without a beautiful Spirit…it doesn’t matter what label you have on your back. ~TH
One thought on “Bright Eyed & Bushy Tailed for the HoliDAZE”
Thanks Tiff, love the tips! x