Style is a frame of mind. It’s expressing who you are at a particular time in your life. Ask yourself, “Where am I in my life and does my personal style fit my current lifestyle?” I’m an Austin based jewelry designer, wardrobe stylist, and new mom to a 4 month old baby girl. I basically live in jeans, tees, and my favorite wedges these days. My “getting ready” routine has really changed! So, I’ve rounded up the 4 ways I keep up my look as a new mom…
- Have at least 1 fabulous pair of jeans that fit you like a rock star (and make you feel like one). Even if you wear them everyday, you know you’ll look good! They’re durable, easily cleaned, and you don’t have to shave your legs as often! Plus, you can dress them up or down. Wear them casually with tees, tanks, and flats, or dress them up with blouses, blazers, and heels. I have 3 pairs in high rotation: a pair of cropped colored denim, straight leg dark denim, and a flared light blue. Don’t buy duplicates; you gotta mix it up!
- Build a wardrobe with a foundation of essentials and stick to a color scheme. This allows you to easily mix & match your pieces to make a variety of outfits. Getting dressed will be easier and you’ll avoid the dreaded, “I have nothing to wear” syndrome when you have the basics. Don’t be tempted by too many trendy items, which are hard to style. A great color scheme is blues, greens, and reds (pick shades that work for your skin tone).
- Buy stylish statement shoes, even if they are flats, sneakers, or low heels. Shoes are a quick & easy way to add a stylish touch to the most basic outfit. It could be a fire engine red patent leather flats, animal print wedges, a bold pair of oxfords, brightly colored sneakers, or a gorgeous pair of low-heeled pumps. Let your shoes make a statement!
- #1 MOST IMPORTANT TIP: Don’t give up on yourself; do your hair & make-up! I find that when hair and make-up are done, everything just looks more “put together”. Even when I haven’t showered or I’m feeling down on my looks, if my hair and make-up are done, I’ll feel great! So, here are my tips:
- For hair, learn to create a quick up-do that works for you. For example, learn to braid it, curl it, pin it back, or tie it in a bun in 10 minutes or less. Find a creative way to use a scarf or hat on bad hair days. For me, I curl my hair 2 or 3 times a week. Instead of washing, drying, and curling it every day, I’ll use a shower cap and just refresh the curls with a little spray wax the next day.
- For make up, get yourself a 5-minute make-up routine. Mine is: Foundation, concealer under eyes, blush, 1 eye shadow, powder, mascara, gloss.
- Bathe at night. I save a lot of time by bathing at night. In the morning, all I have to do is hair & make up! I also find it very relaxing and nurturing to my soul to bathe at night. It’s like I’m washing away everything that happened that day and getting into bed with a fresh start.
Above, is an example of one of my favorite “mom” outfits: Fabulous Denim (Black Orchid), Colorful shoes (Nike), a graphic tee (Zara). For more outfit inspiration, visit my instagram. And, let me know if you have any questions!
Allison Taylor-Moseley is a personal stylist, jewelry designer and new mom living in sunny Austin, Texas. Her jewelry collection is made with precious metals & colorful gemstones with the goal to make style as effortless as possible. The pieces make great wardrobe staples and are designed to be layered with each other, worn alone, or paired with other styles of jewelry to suit your personal style.
SOS is excited to be giving away a unique Taylor-Moseley design in the popular Stocking Stuffer Giveaway this Dec!