Ok, ok – so I may be sounding like a broken record, but I don’t care! Well, it’s actually because I do care. Many of you are probably feeling lousy and I want you all to feel energetic and fabulous. Last year when I felt like I was living life sluggish as if I was walking through mud, my holistic doc told me I was chronically dehydrated.WHAT? I thought I was diligent with drinking water. NOT. If I wasn’t drinking enough, there’s a good chance many of you aren’t either. Dehydration is a precursor for many diseases. Think of it as a stagnant puddle of water where fungus and bacteria thrives. YUCK.
Why is it so important to stay hydrated?
Your body depends on water to survive. Every cell, tissue, and organ in your body needs water to work correctly. For example, your body uses water to maintain its temperature, remove waste, and lubricate joints. Water is needed for optimal health.
How does your body lose water?
Water makes up more than half of your body weight. You lose water each day when you go to the bathroom, sweat, and even when you breathe. You lose water even faster when the weather is really hot (I got sick late August and obviously still not used to the heat of the Texas summer), when you are physically active, or if you have a fever. Vomiting and diarrhea can also lead to rapid water loss. If you don’t replace the water you lose, you can become dehydrated. [via Familydoctor.org]
To know how much water you should drink daily, just divide your body weight in half and drink that amount in ounces. For example, if you weigh 140 lbs, drink 70 ounces of water. If you are in a hot climate or working out, drink a bit more than that. I have to drink 3-4 servings of my Camelbak water bottle. It was a challenge at first, but it becomes a healthy habit and I can tell right away if I am feeling dehydrated and haven’t had my full daily serving of water.
Tips to stay hydrated:
- Keep a bottle of water with you during the day. Purchasing bottled water is expensive and creates plastic bottle waste. Carry a reusable water bottle instead. That’s why we’re giving one away- see details below. I never leave home without mine!
- If you don’t like the taste of plain water, try adding a slice of lemon or lime to your drink.
- Be sure to drink water before, during, and after a workout.
- When you’re feeling hungry, drink water. Thirst is often confused with hunger. Drinking water will also contribute to a healthy weight-loss plan.
- If you have trouble remembering to drink water, drink on a schedule. For example, drink water when you wake up; 15 minutes before meals and when you go to bed. (I always take my water bottle or a glass of water to bed) Or drink a glass of water at the beginning of each hour.
SOS and Perfectly Gifted Frisco have teamed up again in the name of health & hydration to give away a personalized Stainless Camelbak Eddy. These are the best reusable bottles!
- Flip, Bite and Sip. No tipping required (though possible: just remove the straw)
- New, sleek shape fits in the hand and most cup holders
- Taste-free stainless steel is naturally 100% Free of BPA and BPS. No inner liners or plastic coatings that aluminum bottles require.
- Durable and spill-proof
- Easy to carry: Integrated loop handle makes it easy to clip a carabiner or carry with the crook of a finger
- Wide-mouth opening is easy to fill with ice and water and a breeze to clean
- LIKE the PerfectlyPerfectly Gifted Frisco Facebook Page.
- FOLLOW Perfectly Gifted Frisco on Instagram.
- COMMENT on the PGF Instagram giveaway post “I commit to health & hydration”. (Look for the photo of my SOS water bottle)
You must be following this Sanctuary Of Style blog. (subscribe or follow at the top right of the site)
Giveaway ends Friday, Jan 29th at 6pm CST. Winner will be announced on Saturday, the 30th.