Hey Style Sistas!
WOOHOO! It’s officially Summer and as the temps continue to heat up, here’s a few tips for staying cool and looking fabulous, plus some inspiration for the week ahead:
WRAP THAT HAIR UP!
Regardless of your hair length, it can get so sticky and uncomfortable, plus the humidity can have you looking like a wet mop during summer. There are so many ways to keep it off your neck without reverting to the boring old ponytail. This summer, the Retro 50’s look is everywhere from swimsuits, rolled up jeans, cat eye shades and headscarfs–which you all know is MY ABSOLUTE FAVORITE! Channel your inner Old Hollywood actress like Sophia Loren or Audrey Hepburn and play around with scarves. Check out my Pinterest Board on headscarves for more ideas and inspiration.
SPRAY THAT FACE!
Keep a bottle of aromatherapy hydrating spray nearby at all times during the hot months. I even keep a small travel size bottle in my purse! When you’re skin is feeling parched, spritz it on your face, neck, decolletage and down your arms. My favorite is the Rose Water by Heritage Products. There are also easy DIY recipes by adding your favorite essential oils, pure aloe vera juice, cucumber or lemon to distilled water.
Whew, the month of May whizzed by! Did you set any specific intentions for the month? If so, please share any magical moments!
Let us be grateful for the good times May brought, any special memories made with new or old friends, exciting experiences and opportunities then begin to set your intentions for June.
Walk Tall + Strut Yo’ Stuff Sista!
This post was brought to you by Indo Salon. Indo specializes in Cuts, Styles, Haircolor, Highlights, Great Length Extensions, Hair Lingerie, Japanese Thermal Straightening, Brazillian Blowout and Eyebrow Tinting.
A few months ago, I noticed my hands are looking…to put it bluntly….OLD! Grrrrrr, what the heck happened? I do admit I have been super lazy with wearing rubber gloves when I do dishes, but I always wear them when I clean. I grew up watching my mom apply hand cream religiously and because she NEVER got in the sun, her hands are still beautiful in her 60’s. Ok, so I also have to admit I have been lazy when it comes to applying hand cream. Double Grrrrr! The two places that show a woman’s real age are on her hands and decolletage. The skin on the back of the hands is very thin so it is effected by everything from hot water, chemicals in cleaners and sun exposure. We are able to combat the signs of aging on our faces with botox, fillers, lotions and potions, but what about our hands? I am getting serious about taking care of my hands, so if you want to join me here’s…
5 TIPS FOR KEEPING OUR HANDS LOOKING BEAUTIFUL + YOUTHFUL:
- SPF: Muy Importante!!! After applying SPF to your face, dab a bit on the back of your hands as well. Please use an SPF 30 for optimal protection. The next time you get in the car notice how your hands are exposed to the sun while they are on the steering wheel. Days and days then years and years of driving with exposed hands will cause premature aging and hyperpigmentation.
- MINIMIZE DARK SPOTS/ LIVER SPOTS: I recently mentioned how to naturally reduce hyperpigmentation/freckling on the face and the same rules apply to the hands. If you use a Vitamin C rich face serum, start rubbing it into the back of the hands or use lemon juice to lighten existing spots.
- EXFOLIATE WEEKLY: I keep it simple with a DIY scrub (shown above) of olive oil, sea salt and lemon juice. It’s like a triple punch! The olive oil moisturizes, the sea salt exfoliates dead skin and the lemon juice brightens the skin and nails. You can add lavender or eucalyptus essential oils to make it more decadent and spa-like.
- APPLY HAND CREAM NIGHTLY: Our bodies rejuvenate while we sleep, so apply a moisture rich hand cream every night. Set the bottle on your nightstand so you never forget. (note to self!!) Look for hand creams with alpha hydroxy, retinols, lactic acid and hyaluronic acid. You can also take it a step further and wear those thin white spa gloves to bed to lock in the moisture.
- HOT OIL TREATMENT OR PARAFFIN WAX: Heat a 1/2 cup of olive oil to lukewarm and soak hands for 5 minutes for a quick fix. Rinse with water only and pat dry. Use a drop of olive oil or coconut oil on the cuticles during the day as well. If you have more time (like during a movie) wrap your oil covered hands with plastic, then put socks over the plastic. Your hands will feel like a baby’s bottom! Vaseline can also be used, but I prefer the healthy nutrients in the olive oil. If your nail salon provides paraffin treatments, I highly recommend getting one on a regular basis or you can invest in a home machine for under $40 or so.
If you are in your 20’s, please please please start doing these tips NOW! I wish I had started sooner, but better late than never.
Take care of yourselves ladies!